From better self-confidence to better job prospects, a healthy smile will not only transform your physical appearance, but also benefit your well bring, mind-set, and overall health!
There are so many ways that you can improve your oral health. This article will talk through the basic steps you can take to ensure your smile stays sparkling!
Firstly, make sure that you brush your teeth last thing at night and at least one other time during the day with a good quality fluoride toothpaste.
If you use mouthwash then you shouldn’t use it directly after brushing as you rinse away the fluoride from your toothpaste.
Quit smoking! Not only is it good for your health, it will also help to reduce any chances of tooth loss, tooth staining, gum disease, and in more severe cases mouth cancer!
Make sure your toothpaste contains fluoride; it helps strengthen tooth enamel making it more resistant to decay. Change your toothbrush every two to three months or sooner if it becomes worn as it will not clean the teeth properly.
Did you know you should change your toothbrush every month or so? As soon as it becomes worn, it will not clean the teeth properly anymore. If you have a sweet tooth try to choose sugar-free sweets and drinks which contain xylitol as it can actively contribute to your oral health.
Does what you eat affect your teeth?
Yes! What can you do to reduce the effects…
- Avoid snacking and try to only have sugary foods and drinks at mealtimes, reducing the time your teeth come under attack. If you have a really sweet tooth try to choose sugar-free sweets and drinks which contain xylitol as it can actively contribute to your oral health.
- Chew sugar-free gum after eating or drinking, especially sugary foods, to help protect your teeth and gums in between meals.
- Eat varied diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fresh fruit and vegetables can help to prevent gum disease.
- Another excuse to eat cheese? Finishing a meal with a cube of cheese is a great, and tasty, way to reduce the effect of acids from the foods damaging your teeth.
Do you need to see your Dental Hygienist?
You really should visit your dentist regularly. You may find it eaier to book at appiontment with a private dentist or with a dental hygenist.
- Some dentists may offer home visits for people who are housebound or have difficulty visiting the surgery.
- Visiting a dental hygienist can help give you excellent tips and advice on preventing dental problems.
- If you are nervous about visiting the dentist, make sure they are aware of why so they can improve your treatment.
- Help to overcome dental anxiety by taking a friend with you for support or listen to music to help you relax and focus on something else.
- Your dentist will carry out a visual mouth cancer check during your regular check-up?